Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Life Science Director Presents at AEOE and SLC Conferences - April 2014

I had the pleasure of presenting on Permaculture and WWOOFing at the AEOE and SLC Southern California conferences.  I discussed how both having wwoofers and implementing practices of Permaculture laid the foundation for the new curriculum and development of the Life Science program.  It was such a wonderful experience to have met so many individuals working in the camping community all for the same goals and outcomes in outdoor education.

What I did find almost shocking to hear, was that most camps do not have a functioning garden and that it seems to be the last priority on most most administrators lists.  Not having an experienced and dedicated individual seemed to be the biggest issue, as well as the difficulties of not operating year round and only needing a garden during the summer.  It is for these reasons that I'm in the progress of developing a program for camps to come learn how they can implement a garden at their sites successfully without too much hassle.  

Of the workshops that I took while at the conferences, my favorite were on Birding and Wildflower Botany, both of which I have incorporated new curriculum from.

I took a lot of photos, but here are some highlights.  AEOE was held at a camp in the Sequoia National Forest and SLC in Palm Springs:













No comments:

Post a Comment