Thursday, November 7, 2013

WWOOFers and Fall

Waking up to the cold in my room, peering out my window, and seeing the sky dim with low lying coastal fog, I realize I didn't bring enough cold weather clothing to Southern California.  I shuffle across the crushed gravel to the staff commons room and kitchen and wait for the Keurig to heat up my tea.  I feel special to see the fleeting instant of morning when a fog covered sun rises over Koll Mountain. You can almost feel the earth rotating.  Strong enough to hit the purple strands of California Oat, the dim sunlight creeps down the hill and onto the Great Lawn.  Life is good and seasons here at the IROEC are changing.

Along with three others, I am WWOOFing, volunteering in the citrus grove and organic garden in exchange for a room and good organic food (http://www.wwoof.net/).  Every Monday we have a community dinner where staff and wwoofers get a chance to come together and hangout.  We pick from the garden and each make a dish to share.  Dan's roasted butternut squash soup is incredibly rich and flavorful while Tony's garden fresh pesto goes well with almost anything you can think of and Anna Maria has mastered the pasta.  I round out the table with a curried sweet potato concoction and Jane is currently scheming of a vegan dessert.  I can't wait! We go one by one and talk about what went in our dish.  Suddenly what we thought couldn't get better becomes richer and sweeter when we know about the care and energy put in!  While we eat we plan for the upcoming week, review the past week, get input from different perspectives, and share ideas.  It's a good time to reflect.


Dan and Tony chowin down!  
(sorry guys) 

Since arriving in mid-May I've had the chance to see the sun scorched scrub turn green again, get caught in and feel the cold of my first large Californian rain, witness the benefits of our homegrown dining-hall-fed compost on our plants, and mostly to recognize the potential we have for our community.  Tomorrow is Monday and I can't wait for dinner!   


Check back for updates on our space, the Ranch program, and the IROEC.  

Cheers, 
Matt  

No comments:

Post a Comment